Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

September 30, 2011

12 in 12: Book #9

Photobucket

The New Dare to Discipline
by Dr. James Dobson

I've read two parenting books so far by Mr. Dobson and both have been very good.

We're just now entering the stage with Ava where she's testing her limits even more. We're trying to decide what behavior(s) warrant discipline and which ones are just her being curious and figuring this world out.

Which is what made me want to start reading this book. This book takes a look at discipline from all ages and stages. That's one of the things I really liked about it. I poured over the pages about toddlers.

He has some opinions and beliefs about spanking. I won't talk about those ins and outs, I think every family needs to decide what's best for them and their children.

I did appreciate how he broke down many of common behaviors toddles use and told you a way to approach them.

There were chapters in the book however that were for teens and young adults. We're not quite there yet, but I'm glad I'll have this book to reference back to when the time comes. There's some good stuff in them.

My favorite chapter however was the very last chapter, it's appropriately titled:

A Moment for Mom

I so loved this chapter. Most days when I really think about it, I feel overwhelmed at the task of parenting. It's no joke, and a serious job that I don't take lightly at all.

This chapter basically affirms mothers everywhere, and he gives some encouragement to Moms which I felt was so needed. Moms have a BIG job, different than Dads. Both equally important I think, but different.

He included a list in this last chapters for Moms, as a way to help prioritize yourself and your family. Simple things like;

make lists
have a regular once a week me time!
have a regular date night with your spouse

Those are just a few that I love, and think I need more of in my life.

Overall I felt encouraged by the end. Like it's ok that I'm taking this parenting thing one day at a time.

{**** my rating}

Photobucket

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...