Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 29, 2013

{Our Home} Defining an Entry Way

Hi friends! We're back from vacation and refreshed just like the way it should be. We enjoyed a week with my family in Iowa, I can't wait to share some snippets from our trip.

 photo entrywaybanner_zpsea7a26bb.jpg

Today I'm excited to share with you a project that we did to help define our entry way. We started this project on 4th of July weekend, but it always takes us longer than expected to complete projects than I think. We actually finished it a couple days before leaving on vacation. Here's what that space looked like before;

 photo entrywaybefore1_zps55ebd9db.jpg

I realized that I didn't get the best before picture and when I was going through them this was the best one, but we're talking about that wall to the right. I've starred at this wall so much over the last couple months. We don't have a really big entry way, it all just leads right into an open living room. We wanted to define this space as an entry way as much as we could, after browsing a few blogs and coming up with some ideas I showed Hubby this post which was our inspiration for the project.

We decided to screw our boards right into the studs like the tutorial suggested. We headed to Home Depot to get our supplies. We ended up using a thinner bender board than what was originally in the tutorial since our space wasn't as big and these boards are a little thinner. Everything else we did the same as the tutorial.

We used Frog tape to keep the boards in place while we measured and checked to make sure things we level. 

 photo IMG_4607_zps85e5e074.jpg

After screwing all the boards down it was time to fill in the holes and sand things down. 

 photo IMG_4608_zps737d1bca.jpg

Filling, sanding, repeat.

After that we painted them a crisp white. Olympics "Snow" in semi gloss. We used the paint + primer for even coverage since I didn't want to do two steps. Which worked great and covered well. 

 photo IMG_4672_zps554716db.jpg

Here's the completed after; we wanted this space to have the style meets function factor. We wanted it to look pretty but also be a space where we could hang coats and put our shoes.

 photo entrywayafter1_zps6f9cc4f8.jpg

We both really love how it turned out after it was all painted and the hooks were in. I love the clean lines and the crisp look with all the white. 

We added three brushed nickel hooks for hanging coats and bags when we aren't using them. And it's easy access for when guests come over and when we come home to kick off our shoes and hang my purse. 

 photo entrywayafter2_zps964470dc.jpg

We added a basket to store one or two pairs of shoes when we're not wearing them. It helps keep the shoe clutter at bay. 

Let's take a look up close at this frame. I took an old frame I had sitting around and took some hymns out of a book and placed them in the frame. These five hymns are my faves and they mean a great deal to me, I placed them right where I will see them every time I walk into our home. 

 photo entrywayafter4_zps77bc1cb6.jpg

 photo entrywayafter3_zps35218a6d.jpg

We both love how this project turned out, and we love the look and the character it adds to our home.

What projects are you currently working on? Does anyone else like me take forever to complete a home project? I wanna hear about them! Leave your thoughts in the comments below. 

Budget Breakdown: 
bender board sheet $40 (cut to our specifications)
paint $14
hooks $9
caulk, screws, sandpaper, wood filler we already had on hand

Source List:
basket: World Market
silver frame: Ikea
Hooks: Home Depot
White Paint: Olympic Paint + Primer in Snow

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...