Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

April 24, 2013

{DIY} Gold Dot Coffee Mugs with #MarthaStewartCrafts #MothersDay

 photo DIYGoldDotMugs_zps47222a51.jpg

Mother's Day is fast approaching us, it's a great time to make some lovely DIY gifts for your special Mom. My mother lives out of state, and every time she visits it's so special. I love to soak up those moments with her sharing coffee together in my kitchen. 

I wanted to make some special mugs for us to enjoy when she comes to visit us next week. 

 photo IMG_3993_zps9b2eadeb.jpg

I used these Martha Stewart Crafts glass paint in metallic gold for this project. I'm really on a gold kick lately, I just love it. These mugs are totally Kate Spade inspired. 

 photo IMG_3994_zpsba421abf.jpg

I bought two plain white mugs from the Dollar Tree, cleaned them with rubbing alcohol per the instructions on the paint box. Let them dry before applying the paint. 

 photo IMG_3995_zpseb6354bf.jpg

I started by putting a quarter size amount of paint on a plate, using a foam round brush (you can get these at any craft store.) I dabbed some gold dots around my mug. No pattern just randomly around the mug.

 photo IMG_3996_zps1aff06ad.jpg

It'll look something like this once you're done. 

 photo IMG_3997_zpsac6cd6f3.jpg

Make sure you get the back side too.

 photo IMG_3998_zps8b6c856d.jpg

Then do your other one. You need a pair to have coffee with mom ;)

You can air cure these for 21 days, or cure them in the oven. I chose to do mine in the oven. Set your oven to 350 degrees and place them in the oven right away before it's fully preheated. DO NOT place these in an already hot oven or it will not cure properly. Set your timer for 30 minutes. Let them cool in the oven and wait 72 hours before using them. 

 photo IMG_4052_zps7bd6e1c3.jpg

Now you have a pretty pair of mugs for your next coffee date! 



Want to make your own mugs? Michaels is celebrating Moms with a special coupon! Click here to SAVE on your next shopping trip!



This post as part of a sponsored campaign with Plaid and The Blueprint Social. All opinions and love of Martha Stewart Crafts are my own, as always I only recommend & use products I really love and feel are a good fit for myself and my readers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...