Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

December 8, 2008

Holiday Traditions

Some of my favorite Holiday memories as a kid, was making Grandmas Christmas cookies with my Mom and siblings. Cookie making at my house was an all day affair, that took some prepping. Every year for as long as I can remember, we would all make cookies together, some great memories came from doing that.
Opening one present on Christmas Eve, is also another favorite of mine. Staying up all night long on Christmas Eve talking with my Sister, instead of sleeping also brings back fond memories and joy!
I remember one year we opened a few of our presents prior to Christmas while my Mom was out for the day. We taped them all back together and pretended that it never happened. Then felt so bad by the time my Mom got home, and told her how awful we'd been while she was away for the day.
There was one year when my Sister and I were little, probably 5 and 6 and we were being so mean to each other, and rotten kids that Christmas season. That my Mom told us if we didn't shape up she'd throw all of our presents in the trash. We didn't shape up, and she DID throw all of them in big garbage bags and they sat in those bags by the door ready to be thrown away if we didn't shape up by Christmas. Needless to say...this isn't a tradition in our house...but it is a memory of mine. And that was the first lesson my Sister and I received in what Christmas was truly about, that we understood at least.
Now, that I am married and Orion and I are starting our own Christmas traditions it brings back all these great memories. This year Orion and I are spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at our house here in Minnesota, before heading to Iowa to spend the Holiday weekend with family. It's a different year for us being at home, and not with one family or the other. But, I am excited to start our own traditions for the Christmas holiday.
I've been thinking for a couple days now about what we could do, what traditions we could start for our own family. I want to make them special and personal. Christmas has always been such a wonderful time in my family, Orion hasn't had the same experience growing up. Since we've been dating I've been determined to make Christmas time a blessing, and a wonderful memory for Orion. It's my favorite time of year!

***
What are some of your favorite holiday/Christmas traditions?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...