Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

September 23, 2013

Making Your Own Baby Food

I've been making my own baby food since Ava was a little baby. I really enjoy making my own and it's a lot simpler than you think. The best parts is that you can control what goes into your food, you know the ingredients and that is something I really feel good about. 

Also, you can make big batches a freeze for later saving you both time and money. Here's a quick run down of how I make mine, for this example we're using sweet potatoes. 

Chop up your veggies into small cubes, place in a pot with water. Bring to a boiling, until they are tender.


Then transfer to your food processor. You don't need any fancy tools like a baby bullet just a food processor. Save your starchy cooking water, don't throw that away. Blend till you get a smooth not chuncky consistency. Use the cooking water to add it back into your puree to thin it out.
Next I like to put them in these 1 oz containers and freeze them. These containers are called Baby Cubes and they come with a tray to sit them in for the freezer. They are wonderful and just the right portion size. Tip: fill them below the "max" line or else they will expand in pop open when frozen leaving the lid open and your food exposed. You can buy baby cubes here on Amazon. 

Fill up your trays, pop them in the freezer and you're good to go! Healthy, preservative free baby food. I also love to blend up fruit into anything. And just about every veggie is great pureed for baby food. Some other combinations we love (and when I say we, I mean Baby Z.) 

banana + avocado
banana + zucchini

Have you made your own baby food before? If so, tell me what your fave combinations are? 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...