Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

September 9, 2013

Tips for Starting Your Own Healthy Living & Weight Loss Journey


The past few months have been eye opening and challenging. I've learned so much about myself through this process, and I wanted to share some of the things that I've learned and have helped me along the way.

First I want to say, that I am not a fitness or nutritional expert. These are just my own thoughts and some things that have helped me along the way reach my goals, change my lifestyle and helped me loose 50+ pounds so far.

1. Be Motivated
I've talked about this before. I really believe the first step to changing is the want and desire to change! Tell your spouse, your friends and family about your desire and goals and ask them to encourage you along this journey as well. This can be a great motivator for you and help hold you accountable as well, which I think both are important on this journey.

2. Create small & attainable goals
Don't overwhelm yourself with a bunch of goals that are out of your reach. Sit down and make a list of some small goals you want to accomplish. When I first started this the original goal was to loose 30+ pounds of weight that I packed on while pregnant. I wanted to loose that weight, I made a small goal of ten pounds at a time. I made a goal to workout at least 3 times a week. I didn't know how much I could do, but I made it a goal to at least do that. After I met that goal, I made some other ones. Creating small and attainable goals helps you stay on track and helps you stay motivated. Also give yourself small rewards along the way to help keep you motivated.

3. Move your body
You can not expect to loose weight if you don't move your body. Believe me I've tried. I've tried a lot of fad diets, pills and other things to loose weight. But it's the combination of healthy eating and regular exercise that you see results with. There is NOT a substitution for hard work! I know you want a quick fix (I did too!) maybe you can't work out everyday but you can work out at least 3 times a week. Make it a goal to workout and move your body for at least 20 minutes a day.

4. Make Yourself the priority
With all the roles we have as women (wife, mother, employee, business owner, etc.) it can be easy to put yourself at the bottom of the list sometimes. In order to successfully start a journey like this you NEED to make yourself a priority. I realized that taking care of myself and my body not only helped myself but helped me be a better wife and mother. When you do this you teach yourself and your children valuable lessons about taking care of the body God gave you.

5. Take account of what you're putting into your body
This goes along with #3, along with moving your body you need to be aware of what you're putting into your body. Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat. Eating crap makes you fat, sluggish, tired and then you feel bad about yourself. When I started I kept a food journal so that I could see what I was eating and evaluate it, then I switched to the My Fitness Pal App (free) and I realized I what I was eating and what I could cut out quickly. I started to make better choices with what I was putting into my body. More fruits and veggies and less refined sugar. More healthy options, not processed foods. Weight loss is more about what you eat and are putting into your body. Be accountable for how you're fueling your body, and make sure your fueling it with the right things. Am I saying that you can never have a cookie again? No, but you need to have a balanced and healthy diet and get rid of the junk.

What tips would you add to this list? I want to hear your stories and your encouragement too about your own journey. Leave them in the comments below. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...