Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

September 30, 2013

Dealing with Feelings of Rejection

Feelings of rejection aren't just reserved for our teenage years, as long as you have a heart beat I'm sure at some point in your life you will feel the sting of rejection. It doesn't matter if you're an adult, sometimes you still feel rejection from time to time.

Resting in Christ means being secure with who he made you to be. Knowing that he made you for a purpose, and that purpose is good and God divined.



In my experience feelings of rejection are simply a manifestation of our own insecurities and fears about ourselves. Last year my husband and I felt this rejecting feeling when we applied for a ministry position that we interviewed for and didn't end up going past the first initial interview.

There was disappointment, sadness and ultimately feelings of rejection that followed. Those were our initial feelings during this time, and that's OK. We're allowed to have a feeling and a response to what happens to us in our lives.

I think a lot of times as Christians and believers we think that we have to be above all these feelings. We tend to think that since God has given us his grace and that we shouldn't feel this way or that we feel like we should be "above" all this if we believe Jesus saved and redeemed us. The problem with that is that our feelings then can become a real struggle. But the reality is that we're allowed to feel things, we're allowed to have a reaction God created us this way as humans to feel things.

But it's what we do with our reaction that is most important in these times. The following are some ways that I deal with these feelings in my own life. In all things I've realized that we have to keep our perspective. When you look through the lens of Godly perspective on our lives, everything changes.


PRAY without ceasing......
We pray because it's our way to communicate our feelings to Christ, and it brings us closer to Him. As I said you're allowed to feel, this is a natural process that all people have. God created us with feelings, he created us to feel life. But it's a fine line between letting those feelings take over your heart and emotions and GIVING those feelings to Christ and let him work them out. How do we do this? WE PRAY. We pray without ceasing and bring these feelings to Christ.

Read the word, be in the WORD......
When you're praying and in the word daily (read your Bible) and consistently we're armed and ready to deal with whatever feelings that come our way. We're better prepared to take those feelings to God.



SEPARATE the feelings from the REALITY.....
In our case we felt feelings of rejection over being passed up for a job. I had to remind myself that even though I felt rejection that the reality is I wasn't rejected, we were not rejected. We just weren't a good fit for this job.

We have to be careful with our feelings and not let them over run our reality or the truth in situations.

The enemy would love to lie to us, play off our feelings and make us think things are bigger than they are.

He would love nothing more than for us to go down a rabbit hole of emotions. In those cases we have to remember who Christ made us to be.

The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still. Exodus 14:14

Listen, you can not apologize for who you are. You can't apologize for just being yourself. Sometimes you just aren't a good fit for something and that's OK.

I'm confident in who I am in Christ, I am confident in my husband and myself. I need to remind myself of these things when I start to feel this way, and want to have a pity party for myself. A pity party only brings you down and magnifies your feelings. Instead I want to be confident in who I am in Christ and bring those things to the surface.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...