This year I was excited to introduce some new family traditions into our home. One of which was adding a Christmas Advent calendar. I whipped up my own with some supplies I already had around the house and added some fun activities for us to do. Here's how I made mine.
The supplies I used are listed above. The paper bags were a purchase from Pick Your Plum. I made mine for 25 days ending on Christmas. I used index cards to write each of our activities on.
Then I used the silver seals that I got in the dollar spot at Target and wrote the numbers on them. After I was done I punched a hole in them on the side.
I grabbed some ribbon I had on hand, cut them in strips and looped them on to the cards.
Repeat the steps till all your ribbons are tied and place the cards inside your bags.
I used bakers twine and clothes pins to hang them up.
I found these awesome gold bows at Wal-Mart and added them to the ends of each string.
We've been having fun so far doing the activities on the cards. Here's the ideas that are on each card;
- Decorate the tree
- bake cookies
- hot cocoa & stories
- send out Christmas cards
- take a picture in front of the tree
- build a gingerbread house
- set up Nativity scene
- write letters to Santa
- drive around and see Christmas lights
- buy toys for children in need
- read the Night Before Christmas
- make candy pretzels
- make paper snowflakes & watch ELF
- wrap Christmas gifts together
- go see Santa
- make festive garlands to hang up
- go to a tree lighting
- make Christmas gifts for Ava's teachers
- make a festive holiday breakfast
- paint our nails red
- make a snowman
- pay for someone's coffee
- watch Christmas movies with the cousins
- make ornaments
- read the Christmas story of Jesus' birth, prayer and open gifts