Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

September 19, 2011

Happy Home Organizational Series: Keeping the Blog Under Control

Photobucket

The #1 question that I get from people about my blog is: How do I post so often? It's a question I get asked a lot. I'd be lying if I said the blog wasn't a priority. It's something I enjoy, and I'm passionate about it. I'd also by lying if I said it wasn't work or didn't take some thought. Most of the time I don't just wake up and start writing, most of the time posts are thought about and planned very in advance.

This is what works for me. This is how I keep it together and post so often. So today, I'm going to share with you some tips and things that have helped me in my blogging journey. 

When I first started this blog, I wrote about very random things. It took me a while to figure out just what I wanted this blog to be about other than recording our daily lives. I feel like three and a half years later I'm in a groove, found my niche and enjoying every minute! 

My first tip is: Keep a list of blogging ideas. 

Photobucket

I keep a running list of blogging to-dos, ideas and projects in my day planner. It helps me stay on track, keep focused, and really helps with writers block. If I ever get stumped on what to write about I'll pull out my list and look over the ideas I've been writing down. Our current series was on the "to-do" list. I thought about it months before I started writing, dreaming of ideas I wanted to cover and writing them down. Keeping a list of ideas really helps begin to organize things for me, and see where I'm going in my writing. 

My second tip: Find a rhythm for your blog posts. 

When I say rhythm, I mean for how often are you going to post? When I first started writing there was no rhyme or reason I was just posting whenever I wanted to. That's not bad my any means, but as life got busy, a baby got added to our lives and other life changes I knew I needed to find a rhythm for my writing, and what would my writing frequency be? Sit down and really think about how often you can and want to post. What's the amount you can do so that you still love blogging and don't feel burnout and your family isn't suffering. For me that is about three times per week. I usually try to post three times a week and most of the time I take the weekends off. If you see a post on the weekends, it's probably because it's been scheduled. Which leads me to my next tip.......

My third tip: Schedule your posts.

My biggest reason that I can post so often is because I schedule posts. I didn't even know that you could do this until just about a year ago. Crazy, right!! Since learning of this tool it's changed the way I blog. As I said before I keep a list, and when I have the time I sit down and crank out a few well planned blog posts based on this list. I will usually sit down and write an entire weeks worth of posts in one day during that time. I do most of my blog writing when Ava naps or at night when my Hubby is off working out. I try really hard not to let the blog take away from family time or time with my Husband. So during a two hour nap time I'll do my best to get some intentionally writing done. Scheduling posts for me has been a life changer, and made me even more excited to write knowing that I'm actually putting something that I've thought about, planned and love on this blog. 

So there you have it, all my BIGGEST blogging secrets. I really encourage you if you have a blog to take some of these ideas and see how you can let them inspire you and how you can make them your own. I don't consider myself any authority when it comes to blogging, but this is what has worked for me and I wanted to share that with you today. 

I hope you feel encouraged to take your blog to the next level, and feel less stressed about blogging. 

Happy Monday Everyone!! 



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...