Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

August 22, 2012

{DIY} Applique Onesies & Tee Shirts

I really love making applique onesies and t-shirts for Ava. I've been making a few for the newest addition in our family lately too! I thought I'd share with you a fun and easy way to make applique onesies and t's for your kids too.

Onesie1

You can do this method either with the sewing machine or not. When I first started making ones for Ava I didn't have a sewing machine and they still held up just great! I'll show you in the instructions below. So, let's get started!

First you'll want to cut out the shape of your applique you want to use. I usually just Google an image I want and print it off. For example I knew I wanted to make one with the state of Oklahoma on it, so I found an image online that I wanted and printed it off and then used it as a pattern to cut out my fabric. Below is a picture of of all the images I printed off and used for patterns.

Onesie2

Here they all are cut out in my fabric/ felt of choice.

Onesie4

In this image I used red felt. I use pins to secure the paper so that it doesn't slip while I'm cutting around it.

Onesie3

Next, I like to secure my cut outs to the onesie so that they don't move around when I sew them on. To do this I use Heat Bond (which you can find at any craft store) I like to use the heat bond tape only because I like to cut out little strips to go around and secure the edges. Make sure you buy the extra hold bond.

onesie6

You can use the Heat Bond pages if you don't plan on sewing your onesie that will ensure it will be bonded to the shirt and not come off. I cut my strips to fit around the edges and then I follow the instructions according to the package to secure it.

onesie7

onesie8

Now it's ready! If you'd like to leave your onesie like this without sewing the edges you can. Sewing it I think just finishes the look of the onesie. If you don't have a sewing machine you can hand stitch around it with some thread.

Onesie5

onesie10

Repeat this method with all your onesies, and then you will have a bunch that look like this ready to wear for your little one.

onesie9

I like to buy my t-shirts and onesies mostly from Wal-Mart (the Faded Glory Brand or Grananimails) I find that they run true to size and don't shrink much when you wash them. All these onesies pictured I found name brand at the thrift store. That's also a great place to look especially when making onesies since they can get a bit pricey. If you find a bunch of plain ones scoop them up if they're in good condition.

I hope you enjoy making these for your little ones. They are so fun and easy to make once you get the hang of it you'll be wanting to make all sorts of them.

Sharing with: SNAP Show & Tell, One Project At A Time, Sundae Scoop, Weekend Wrap Up Party, Overflowing with Creativity, Pretty Things on Thursday, Create & Inspire, Pitty Party

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...