Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 25, 2012

Butter Cookies with Brown Butter Frosting

Nothing makes the house smell better than baking something in the oven. When Renuzit came out with their new line of scents that smell like yummy desserts, I thought this is a great idea. It was my challenge to come up with a recipe inspired by their new air freshener collection. Red Velvet Cake was my scent of choice to be inspired by. #Temptyoursenses.

Photobucket

When I think of red velvet cake I think of rich flavor, vanilla and Southern Hospitality. I knew immediately the recipe that I wanted to make. These cookies with leave a rich taste in your mouth, they are so good you'll need a tall glass of milk to wash these down.

Photobucket

Butter Cookies with Brown Butter Frosting (adapted from 101 Gourmet Cookies)

2 sticks of butter, softened       pinch of salt
1 cup sugar                              1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 egg yolks                              1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/3 cups all purpose four

Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and salt. Beat until well blended, mix in baking soda and vanilla. Last add flour and mix until combined. Refrigerate for one hour. (or put in the freezer for 30 min, if you're short on time, or make these late at night like I do sometimes.) Form into balls and dip tops in sugar. Place on a cookie sheet and flatten using the bottom of a glass. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until light golden. Cool completely and top with frosting.

Photobucket

Photobucket

While my dough is chilling, I like to make the frosting.

Photobucket

Brown Butter Frosting

1 stick butter                           4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla                            1/2 cup heavy cream

Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until golden brown specks appear, stirring occasionally. Butter will get foamy and if you swirl the pan around the butter will be light brown and you will see brown bits. It will have a nutty toffee smell. Remove from heat and cool completely. Add powdered sugar and vanilla to a mixing bowl add the butter as well. Beat until crumbly, slowly add cream until frosting reaches desired consistency. Spread onto cooled cookies. Refrigerate remaining frosting.

Photobucket

These are so good, serve with a glass of cold milk. I promise you'll love them! Let me know if you try them and your family loves them to.

I took half the batch to work the next day and they were a big hit there too! Happy Baking friends!

Please visit these sites to find out more about this company and their products: their site, their facebook page.  To see the rest of my shopping experience visit my Google+ album here. 

I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Renuzit #CBias #SocialFabric, all opinions and thoughts are 100% my own. 

sharing with: SNAP! Show & Tell, One Project at A Time, Get Your Craft On, Tuesday's Treasures, DIY Project Parade, Overflowing with Creativity , Sundae Scoop, Pretty Things on Thursday

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...