Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

February 18, 2011

{Guest Blogger} Beth from Domestic Ease

I think there comes a time when you as a parent and a designer at heart have to decide between function and personal desire… I had this choice a few weeks ago and had to choose function. The good ole guest room, which I LOVE, came into question. I have always wanted a room where guest could come right through my front door and have a space all their own that was a beautiful , comfortable retreat while they were on vacation. We live at the beach… people like to visit the beach. I loved my guest room.


I have a princess, 5, and an active boy, 3. Toys are beginning to seep out of every closet imaginable. I don’t think I can take one more boxcar or Barbie doll in my living room and if I have to watch one more episode of The Fresh Beat Band while making dinner I might lose it. So the truth hit me. We have this 4th bedroom, the guest room, which never gets used, except in the summer a few times. I have to give it up and create a place for my children; a room that will function and be practical for our family almost every day of the year.


So we did it… on a strict budget! We sold the furniture and used the money to create a fun playroom for the kids. My husband created a wall unit with Target bookshelves for $108.00. The kids already had a great table and chairs and their Anywhere Chairs from Pottery Barn Kids in other rooms so we were able to just move them to the playroom. Now they can walk in their bedrooms again. Took the old TV out of the garage, bought a few bins from the dollar section at Target, fun artwork to tie all the colors together, shopped at my parents house for a day bed and bedding, and it was complete.

I can say, I miss the elegant four poster bed with beautiful Pottery Barn bedding, pictures of sea shells but it has been SO nice for the kids to have a space all their own now that they are at an age where they don’t need my constant observation. I think they have enjoyed playing together and I have enjoyed making dinner without having to sing …” We had a great day, it was a super way, to spend some time together…”

Beth Goff


******
Thanks Beth for sharing! Jump on over and visit Beth and her friend's at Domestic Ease, their site is filling with all sorts of great tips for the home, life and families. Give her some comment love and let her know you enjoyed today! Come back tomorrow for more guest posts from another one of my fave bloggers! Happy Friday!

images: via Beth @ Domestic Ease

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...