Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

August 16, 2010

Emotions & The Holy Spirit

So then those who are living the life of the flesh [catering to the appetites and impulses of their carnal nature] cannot please or satisfy God, or be acceptable to Him. But you are not living the life of the flesh, you are living the life of the Spirit, if the Holy Spirit of God really dwells within you he directs and controls you. 
- Romans 8:8-9 The Amplified Bible

There are several definitions for the word emotion. According to Webster the root word is Latin emovere, meaning to move away. 

I find this very interesting since that's what are emotions tend to do in a way. They tend to move us away from what the original source of them were. Sometimes [ok, a lot of times] we can get too caught up in our emotions over a situation, to the point where we don't really know how we even started out that way in the first place. Right? 

And I think this is especially true for women, since we tend to be way more emotional that men are. We tend to lead by our emotions rather than logic or truth. 

Our emotions are carnal, they are of the flesh. They are our thoughts and feelings according to what has happened to us, and made up in our sub conscious. 

These things move us away from God, and the Holy Spirit. 

When our minds, and hearts are flooded with emotions that move us away from God I believe that it's hard to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit. All of a sudden we're letting these emotions dictate how we respond to people, how we make decisions and live. 

I think ultimately this leads to lies from the enemy coming into our lives and taking over our thought life. They can breed insecurity towards others, insecurity in ourselves and what God wants to do in our lives, what he might want to show us. 

I know this to be true in my own life. To be quite honest I'm going through this right now, that's why I can write so open and honest right now. I know my emotions have gotten the better of me at times in the last few weeks. They have led me away from where I know God wants me to be, and have ultimately made me feel isolated. Where it's just me, my emotions, and the lies of the enemy. 

Everyone has emotions, it's silly to think that you won't at some time or another about something. But, it's more important about what you do with them. You can't ignore them, but you can pray through them and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you what is truth and what is just the enemy trying to use whatever he can to move you farther and farther from God's plan and will for your life. 

I believe that if we are led by our emotions in this way, that we'll never walk in God's will and victory if we seek the counsel of our emotions instead of the Holy Spirit. 

Today, I encourage you to take inventory over your emotions and thought life. Begin to pray and seek the Holy Spirit to work through these emotions that may be taking over in your life. 

Emotions bring confusion. God is not a God of confusion. He wants to make his love, and plans for our lives known. 

I pray today, I would walk with the Holy Spirit by my side and not my emotions getting the best of what God has for me. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...